Monday, November 4, 2013

Osgood & Hinshaw, "The Aesthetics of Editing"

More than You Could Imagine

It's interesting that our reading today discusses editing and starts with a quote that attempts to describe the challenge of proper editing. The reading also shares how the crude videotape editing in the 1960s required editors to get creative with how they manipulated footage; one in particular was for the show Laugh-In, in which the editors had to splice tape using a razor blade under a microscope. This made me think of a Buzzfeed post (embarrassing, but what's new?) I was reading yesterday about how incredibly complicated it was to create the stop-motion picture film, Nightmare Before Christmas

This one piece took 24 frames!
For me, before I started editing my video, the craziest fact was that one minute of the movie required an entire week of filming. That is so much time and work for a minute that probably feels like a few seconds to the viewer. However, once I truly understood what a frame was and how difficult it is to edit, the most astonishing fact was that each second of the movie had 24 frames, resulting in 110,000 frames for the whole film. Just the idea of that is beyond daunting, and I can only imagine the patience and incredible skill needed to create such a coherent movie from such a monstrous editing process. If this movie were to be made with today's technology, do you think the editing would be just as tedious?


Time Constraints

Television programs and commercials have designated time slots, leaving the film and content to become very manipulated by the editors. Since I have enough trouble trying to make page requirements on my papers, I completely understand the struggle of time constraints in video editing. I haven't filmed enough scenes for my video project for me to start worrying about meeting the time requirements just yet, but I'm sure that I will struggle deciding which frames to cut or keep. In fact, when I was working on my slideshow, I photographed and edited many more pictures than necessary and faced serious internal conflict when deciding which pictures wouldn't make it to my slideshow. It's even more difficult for TV shows with consecutive story lines to show scenes and how they relate in less than 27 minutes. For commercials, it's 30 seconds that they have to tell a story in, which can be very challenging. Do you think you could create a meaningful story in that amount of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment